Little Mission Chamber Ensembles: Adult Class
One of the great joys to learning music is gaining the skills necessary to create music with others! So often, musical study is a very solitary experience, with lots of time spent practicing on your own. Yet, all that solo practice can help prepare you to collaborate with other musicians. Our Little Mission Chamber Ensembles class is the perfect way to explore making music with others!
Depending on the students and instrumentation enrolled, the class will be split into varying small ensembles. Each class session, you’ll work with a coach to learn the aspects of collaborative musicianship necessary make music together. Your ensemble will focus on at least one piece to put together and perform at the final class session for fellow students, family, and friends. Since our instrumentation will vary, there’s no limit to the kinds of music we can explore together across genres and time periods!
Students should have at least 2 years prior private study on their given instrument and be comfortable reading music.
The ensemble is open to all wind, string, percussion, guitar, and keyboard instrumentalists.
A brief placement audition is required to place you in an ensemble appropriate for your level. Auditions will consist of:
- Solo Excerpts:
- Student should prepare two brief, contrasting, solo excerpts of their choice.
- Total length of excerpts should not exceed 5 minutes in length.
- Excerpts should showcase ability in expression, articulation, dynamics, rhythm, and tuning.
- Students must bring a copy of their excerpt to the audition for the audition panel.
- Accompaniment is neither provided nor necessary for solo excerpts.
- Sight Reading:
- A short excerpt will be provided at the audition for the student to sight read.
- Student will have 60 seconds to preview and look over the music (without playing).
- Student will then play the excerpt and be assessed for accuracy in rhythm, pitches, & dynamics.
When enrolling, you may select from the following audition date and time windows. Your exact audition time will be emailed to you.
- Audition Window A – Friday, April 20th, 5 – 7 PM
- Audition Window B – Saturday, April 21st, 11 AM – 1 PM
*Current Little Mission Studio private lesson students may arrange to have their audition occur during one of their regular lessons.
*Students who have previously taken this class do not need to audition.
Number of Sessions:
Duration of Each Session:
Thursdays, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 1 – Thursday, April 26th, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 2 – Thursday, May 3rd, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 3 – Thursday, May 10th, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 4 – Thursday, May 17th, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 5 – Thursday, May 24th, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 6 – Thursday, May 31st, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 7 – Thursday, June 7th, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 8 – Thursday, June 14th, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 9 – Thursday, June 21st, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 10 – Thursday, June 28th, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- No class on Thursday, July 5th. Happy Independence Day!
- Session 11 – Thursday, July 12th, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
- Session 12 – Thursday, July 17th, 8:15 – 9:15 PM
Session 12 is the Class Showcase! Friends and Family welcome!
7 – 20 Students, Split into Smaller Chamber Ensembles
Current Private Lesson Student Discount!
Current private lesson students receive a 50% discount on ensemble class tuition.
Students should bring to each session: their instrument, a pencil, a folder for music, and a re-fillable water bottle.